1781 to Present
There were twenty-four acres in the land sold by George Logan of Wilmington to Mark Russell in 1781 who sold it to Thomas White in 1800. Little is known about White but the deeds show that the property passed to Isabella White and was sold at auction by the sheriff in 1804 to Duncan McLeran. Just before his death in 1822 he sold the property to James Baker (1818) for $2,000. It is believed that the present house was erected by McLeran.
In 1818 James Baker took his bride to 309 Dick Street (now 233 Dick Street). The house at it now stands look no different. The Bakers’ lived there until 1849, when he moved to Holly Springs and sold the house to Charles T. Gardner who sold it to Joseph E. Bryan in 1850. In 1852 Gardner sold the house to Charles T. Haigh to give to his daughter-in-law, Katie Badger Haigh and her husband William H. Haigh, as a gift.
William Haigh was in the Confederate Army, was captured, and remained a prisoner for the duration. One morning in March 1865, Mrs. Katie Haugh looked down Dick Street, from her father-in-law’s house and saw waving from her porch the Union Flag. She found that some of Sherman’s Army had taken up headquarters there. It is remembered that a tree which stood directly in front of the house had a piece of chain to which the horses were hitched, and through the years the tree had grown around the chain. After Major Haigh’s death, the house was sold to Quincy K. Nimocks in 1893.
The Woman’s Clug purchased the home in 1966 and immediately removed the asymmetrical add
Description of the Baker-Haigh-Nimocks House Property
The Baker-Haigh-Nimocks House, was built in 1804, is an example of Georgian architecture, perfectly balanced and symmetrical inside and out. It is believed to have been built by ship builders from the north who came south during the cold and severe winters and build homes. The Nimocks House exhibits a proportional, classical and “regular” style. “Regular” styles are defined by mathematical ratios (such as the golden mean) that are used to determine every measurement from the floor layout to the width to height ratio of the windows. Their unique building style probably explains the unusual barrel staircase design in the Nimocks House. In addition, the hand carved cornices, wainscoting, mantels and hand-punched gouge work are beautifully detailed and type of the period. Georgian Style homes were typically painted red, tan, and/or white of not constructed from brick or stone.
The front entrance features a fan light and the light fixture at the top of the staircase was planned for use in the state capital building if Fayetteville had remained the capital. The two upstairs rooms feature dormer windows and individual fireplaces.
The dormer windows are American Colonial, four across the front and five across the back of the house. The each piece of weatherboarding has a beaded edge. The louvered blinds are are made from a solid piece of board with louvers cut out and immovable.
All workmanship was by hand and the pegs were used in construction. The circular staircase in the back hall winds to the second story. At the top on the newel post is a small shelf with a brass candleholder inset. The handrail is mahogany, the stringer handcarved and the panel wainscoting was cut from a large tree and curved. The middle dormer window opens into this back hall area.
The Woman’s Club purchased the home in 1966 and immediately removed the asymmetrical additions to the exterior, restoring the home’s intended Georgian grandeur. The club also uncovered the heart pine floors.
At this time, serious restoration is needed on the house. The paint, windows and inside need redoing in order to bring the house to code according to the city of Fayetteville. The Woman’s Club of Fayetteville is working diligently to raise funds to restore the house. If you are interested in helping restore this wonderful house please contact the club (910-483-6009) or use one of the email forms to contact the club.
Parts of this article were taken from an article in The Fayetteville Observer, June 19, 1961.